Carrots taste even better when they have been roasted! The carrots shrink a lot so don’t be alarmed by the large quantity. If you can’t find preserved lemon, you can use grated lemon zest instead!
3 pounds carrots, peeled and cut diagonally into 2-inch chunks
3 T. extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 to 1 t. freshly ground allspice
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
4 large garlic cloves, minced
Peel of 2/3 to 1 whole preserved lemon, inside pulp removed and discarded, the peel rinsed under cold water and finely minced, or shredded peel of 1 medium lemon
1. Preheat the oven to 450ºF.
2. Bring a 6-quart pot of salted water to a boil and cook the carrots until they are nearly fork-tender, but still with some firmness, about 10 minutes. Drain thoroughly.
3. On a large half-sheet pan, toss the carrots with enough olive oil to coat them generously, then toss them with the allspice, salt and pepper.
4. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes until nicely seared and browned here and there, shaking and turning often.
5. Remove the pan from the oven and while the carrots are still in it, add the garlic and lemon (preserved or zest), tossing to combine. Season to taste and serve.
Welcome food enthusiasts!
The beautiful, spray free produce our farmers grow enables their families and customers alike to eat REAL and GOOD food. We hope you enjoy these recipes starring items grown for our CSA and the farmers markets. Happy eating!