This is a popular Russian dip. You can serve it with party-size pumpernickel bread or toast.
1/4 cup olive oil
1 medium onion, finely diced
16 ounces can tomatoes, finely chopped and well drained
1 medium eggplant, peeled and finely diced
1 green bell pepper, finely diced
2 T. lemon juice
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the drained tomatoes and sauté for 5 minutes more, stirring often.
2. Lower the heat to medium, then stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover the pan and cook for about 20 minutes, or until the eggplant is very tender. Stir periodically.
3. Remove the cover of the pan and cook until the juices have evaporated, another 5 minutes or so.
4. Puree half the eggplant mixture in a blender or food processor and return to the pan.
5. Stir very well to mix, then scrape into a serving bowl. Serve at room temperature.
Welcome food enthusiasts!
The beautiful, spray free produce our farmers grow enables their families and customers alike to eat REAL and GOOD food. We hope you enjoy these recipes starring items grown for our CSA and the farmers markets. Happy eating!