Who doesn’t like chocolate, but fret not! It’s not too sweet.
8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf
2 1/2 cups grated zucchini
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup Dutch process cocoa powder
3/4 t. baking soda
1/2 t. baking powder
1 t. sea salt
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped and toasted
1 1/4 cups bittersweet dark chocolate (at least 70%), chopped
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 large egg
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1 t. vanilla extract
1. Preheat an oven to 350° F. Grease and line a 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch (21 x 10-centimeter) loaf pan and set it aside. Let the parchment paper hang over the sides.
2. Place the grated zucchini on a baking tray lined with a lint-free kitchen towel, then place another kitchen towel on top, patting it down gently to absorb any additional moisture. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, use a fork to whisk together the flours, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and sea salt. Stir in the chopped walnuts and 1 cup of the dark chocolate.
4. In a separate large bowl, whisk together the butter and buttermilk. Add in the egg, light brown sugar, and vanilla, then whisk the liquid ingredients until smooth and uniform. Gently fold in the zucchini. Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan, then sprinkle the top of the batter with the remaining 1/4 cup of chopped dark chocolate.
6. Bake, rotating at least once half way through baking, until a skewer inserted into the bread comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes.
7. Let cool in the loaf pan for 15 to 20 minutes before inverting out onto a cooling rack to finish cooling completely.
Welcome food enthusiasts!
The beautiful, spray free produce our farmers grow enables their families and customers alike to eat REAL and GOOD food. We hope you enjoy these recipes starring items grown for our CSA and the farmers markets. Happy eating!